Deathbridge Warhammer

Deathbridge Warhammer

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Painting with Spooky part 1

Painting- Some people love it, others hate it while some tolerate it enough just play in tournaments or have a painted army when they play.

I would say that I belong in the first category. Painting to me is the best part of the hobby of table top miniature gaming. It is very relaxing to me and there is nothing better then seeing two fully painted armies on the table while playing.



About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and lost the vision in my right eye. As you can imagine painting can be a bit of a challenge with my vision impairment, but as a result of my determination and love for the hobby, I have been able to adjust and adapt.

Below are some of my first armies when I started painting. My Necrons!!

Duane's Necrons 014

Duane's Necrons 005

Duane's Necrons 003


As you can see they were very basic in terms of colors, techniques and such, but everyone has to start somewhere. Right? Next up are some of my first fantasy army figures( Beasts of Chaos at the time). From experimenting, looking at peoples models online and in person, I was able to understand the basic skills to improve my painting.

Wargor front

mounted demonette 2

Chaos Troll front

Bestigor standard front

Chaos giant front with flash 2

Chaos giant Human and armplate

They were quite the improvement from my Nerons., and with a lot of practice I was able to understand a lot of the skills most painters use on a daily basis when painting models. Skills such as : Patience , dry brushing, black lining, color palettes, shading and combing paints to make new colors. With these new skills I was able to get one of the most important skills when painting. Confidence! With confidence a person is able to do pretty much anything they set their mind too.

Now with my new found skills I have been able to paint at a very good table top quality and produce models which I am very proud of.

My Tyranids

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My Warriors of Chaos
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

With each army that I paint I try to do something different. I always bounce ideas off my brother and my Mother ( oddly enough), not to mention the great group of guys from deathbridge. Everyone is very supportive of my painting and help inspire me to try new ideas and work hard at improving.

My Night goblins

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I have even done some commission work. Here is a Trygon that I did for a friend who runs the comic book store we play at.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I am very proud of how it turned out, and excited that he has it on display in his store.

So I guess my goal of this little blog is to inspire people and give an insight in to some of the things I have learned over the past 8 years painting. I will be the first to admit that I am definitely not the best painter, but I am proud of the work that I do under my circumstances.

The most important advice that I usually give someone is " If you like it then that is all that matters".

Up next in my little series on painting. Why the right lighting makes all the difference.

here is a peek at what I am working on now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Till next time. I would like to know what inspires you ?

3 comments:

Court said...

About damn time! Awsome article and as always awsome minis from the club's best painter.

Doompickle said...

Great work man! well done.

spookymancer said...

Thanks gentlemen =) your words mean a lot to me.